Women are always trying to look beautiful and stylish with various jewelry and accessories in their clothes. Now there are many beautiful things, but they are either expensive or they are sewn mainly for women with model parameters. But they solved these two problems by opting for self-tailoring. Many of them have completed the relevant courses and now they need to choose between two units: a sewing machine and an overlocker. The difference lies in the work being done. In this article, we will answer the question of how a sewing machine differs from overlockers and which is better to choose.
What is their difference
Let’s look at the difference between an overlocker and a sewing machine:
- An overlocker is a device with which you can make professional overcasting of cuts on any type of fabric. By means of the device, excess fabric is trimmed when sewing clothing items. A carpetlock is a sewing machine with the capabilities necessary for the professional processing of complex textile products. This device has all the properties of an overlocker. In addition, it can be used to make any seams when processing fabric.
- The sewing machine has two threads, one of which must be threaded into the bobbin.
The threads are intertwined by means of a shuttle and, thus, a stitch is obtained. Note that for a beautiful and strong stitch, the threads must be securely pulled together in the stitch. Under these conditions, the seam is smooth and beautiful. A special foot and a zigzag stitch allows you to overcast the cut edge on a standard sewing machine. But with a sharp movement, the thread can burst.
- When using an overlock, the thread cannot break due to the overcasting seam, which is strong, elastic and stretchable. This is made possible by directing the lower thread not into the bobbin, but directly into the bobbin of loops. More precisely, the two lower threads, because the overlock has the smallest 2 loopers. It is noted that the sewing machine can only work on two threads.
These three-thread units are already obsolete models, because a four-thread overlock has been available on the market for a long time, which allows you to make various combinations of overlock stitches. They can be used as three-thread and two-thread – you need to turn off the extra needles.
- Overlocker and sewing machine differ in design. The first one does not have a special sleeve, which is associated with the functions of the unit. And in the sewing machine, this element is present and its dimensions are quite impressive.
- Overlocker consumes much more thread. Overlock products do not use thread spools, but large thread bobbins.
- The overlock trims the edge of the fabric during the overcasting process.
Why the sewing machine cannot replace the overlocker
The overlock cuts, stitches and finishes knitted fabrics or fabrics that fray quickly. If we talk about the work of a sewing machine, then it sews the details of the product, some models can embroider and make overlock lines, but it cannot become a full-fledged replacement for an overlock, because it only imitates its work.
And you can also highlight the fact that overlockers can process fabrics with two, three and five threads, unlike a sewing machine that only works with 2 threads.
Professional tailors and seamstresses prefer to use two devices at the same time.
How to make overlock stitches with a sewing machine
To overcast the edge of the fabric, you do not always need to buy additional equipment, which costs a lot. For those users who do not sew professionally, this does not make sense at all. In some cases, the special modes for overcasting the edges present on a standard sewing machine will be quite enough.
For different materials, special programs can be built in, by choosing the right one you can make the perfect stitch. In some cases, a description of the seams can be found on the body of the device. Auxiliary overcasting stitches improve the quality of the seam.
Therefore, before purchasing a sewing machine, you need to choose one where the ability to make overcasting stitches is indicated in the program lists. This is important if the purchase of an overlock is not planned in the future.
Which overlock is better to buy
When buying an overlocker, most people pay attention not only to its cost, manufacturer, but also to the reviews of real customers, which are not always objective. This is because incorrectly selected threads or needles can adversely affect the work. You need to pay attention to:
- Number of threads – monotone overlocks are more practical, but at the moment models with 4 threads are in great demand. They are equipped with two pairs of looper and needles. If necessary, they can be used as three-thread or two-thread (it is necessary to turn off the needle or install the looper on the convector).
- Number of programs for overcasting.
- Price – the higher the cost, the more functionality the overlock has.
- Levers – adjust the length and width of the stitch.
- Creel – prevents thread breakage.
In this article, we talked about what an overlock and a sewing machine are, explained what is the difference between these devices and what to look for when buying.