Quite often, when using the freezer, we notice that an unpleasant smell has appeared. To exclude this phenomenon, you first need to identify the causes and choose “preventive measures”, which are quite a lot in folk methods. Knowing these life hacks, you can easily keep your freezer clean and fresh.
Why does the freezer smell?
The smell in the freezer can occur due to the following reasons:
- You have not defrosted the refrigerator for a long time, and a “significant” snow coating has formed, which absorbs all the existing smells of the freezer.
- You have not checked the refrigerator for a long time and left varieties of fish or meat in it, which after a while made themselves felt.
- Some liquid was spilled in the freezer, which invariably acquired an unpleasant odor.
- Mold has formed in the corners of the refrigerator or on the rubber door seals.
How to clean the freezer so that the smell is gone?
If the problem has already “spread” throughout the freezer, then you need to lay out all the available products from the freezer, and then follow the instructions:
- Be sure to disconnect the freezer from the power supply.
- Achieve complete defrosting of the unit. To avoid flooding, it is worth constantly wiping the chambers as the ice melts.
- Remove the glass shelves (if any) and wash them separately with soapy water in a bathroom under running water.
- After defrosting completely, wash it with warm water and liquid soap or dishwashing detergent. Particular attention should be paid to rubber seals, refrigerator corners and egg storage areas.
- Treat with a solution not only the “insides” of the freezer, but also the jars-bottles that were in it, as they may have a coating, which creates an unpleasant odor.
If the problem persists and after the actions taken in the freezer there is an unpleasant smell, then you can involve folk methods that do an excellent job of solving it.
How to remove an unpleasant smell with improvised means?
There are many ways to remove the smell in the freezer by using improvised products without chemical enhancers. Let’s look at them next:
- baking soda solution – 1 tablespoon of soda per liter of water. Wipe the refrigerator with a sponge, wetting it periodically in this solution.
- Acetic solution – 1 tablespoon of vinegar per liter of water. Along with soda, it fights against an unpleasant smell in the freezer.
- Juice of one lemonin which you need to moisten the sponge and wipe the walls of the freezer.
- Open pack of soda – it must be placed in the freezer and left there overnight. Soda and in this version is able to absorb all unpleasant odors.
- Bag of activated charcoal and rice. In order to completely avoid unpleasant odors in the freezer for a long time, take a cotton bag (you can sew it yourself from “breathable fabric”) and place 10 activated charcoal tablets (pre-crush) and a couple of spoons of rice into it. Fix the bag and put it in the freezer – it will absorb unwanted odors.
- Coal woody (which is often used for barbecue) or activated – an excellent substance that fights unpleasant odors, while it is enough to pour this or that coal on a saucer and put it in the refrigerator.
- Solution with ammonia. Treat the walls and shelves of the freezer with a one-to-one solution of ammonia, which also fights unpleasant odors.
- Ground coffee designed to technically cope with the problem of smell in the freezer, but it is ground. The coffee beans can give off their smell and you will get the opposite effect of “overlapping” smells. Also, coffee grounds do their job for five. It is necessary to pour it out, and the unpleasant smell will dull or completely disappear in a few hours.
- regular bread (or a slice of black dried bread) simply place in the freezer on an open container.
- Lemon A wonderful freezer freshener not only as a cleaner, but simply as a fragrance. Spread the lemon slices in the freezer, and the unpleasant smell will be “encrypted” for a long time.
- Hydrogen peroxide solution treat the freezer, leave for 20-30 minutes to act and wipe with clean water.
- Tubers of peeled potatoes – put in the chamber to eliminate odors, but change them daily.
- Salt – the same odor absorber as soda. It is necessary to pour salt on a plate and leave it in the freezer.
- Fresh sprig of juniper It is also able to remove the smell from the freezer if left overnight and changed regularly.
- Spices: put cinnamon, ginger and cloves in equal proportions in a bag and leave in the freezer.
- Solution with fir or eucalyptus essential oil: Dilute 3-4 drops in a glass of water, add 3 tablespoons of vodka. The solution must be poured into a spray bottle and the surface of the freezer should be treated.
- garlic cloves and onionscut into pieces, are used as “plate cleaners”.
Purchased products against unpleasant odors in the freezer
There are chemical “air fresheners” for the freezer, sold in hardware stores, as freshener absorbents, and as freezer sprays. If you have already taken up chemistry, you can try silicone granules to absorb odors. They can be purchased at hardware or pet stores.
We also recommend that you study the article on how to get rid of the smell in the entire refrigerator (effective methods).