How not to make a mistake when buying a gas stove? It is necessary to think over everything to the smallest detail, because the gas stove in the kitchen is a technique that you will use daily. From this article you will get information about the advantages and disadvantages of various models of gas stoves, about the functions that are necessary and those that you can do without.
Advantages and disadvantages of a gas stove
Let’s take a look at all the pros and cons of a gas stove and summarize – this will make the choice easier if you are still hesitating between a gas stove and an electric stove.
Advantages of a gas stove:
- fast and efficient cooking;
- instantly changeable temperature mode;
- simplicity and unpretentiousness;
- low cost of operation (gas is much cheaper than electricity).
According to many housewives, the taste of food cooked on fire is more pronounced, and the rapid change in temperature conditions opens up new opportunities for creating gourmet dishes.
Disadvantages of a gas stove:
- with improper installation and operation, it becomes a fire hazardous household appliance;
- it is problematic to rearrange to another place; coordination with gas services is required;
- only special gas services are entitled to repairs.
Characteristics and options of the gas stove
Before choosing a gas stove, let’s dwell on the main technical characteristics of the device:
- plate dimensions;
- work surface and design;
- dimensions and number of burners;
- the size and functionality of the oven;
- safety of use.
Dimensions. The dimensions of the plate, as a rule, are directly dependent on the size of the kitchen and furniture: 50-60 cm in depth and 85 cm in height. The width ranges from 30 to 90 cm and depends on the number of burners. The most common models that fit perfectly into the size of a small kitchen have a surface of 60×60, 60×50 and 50×50 cm.
surface and design. The range of colors and variety of materials makes the gas stove a decor element of any kitchen. There are four main materials used to design gas stoves:
- Aluminium alloy. Processed using special technologies, this alloy is considered the newest of the materials used. The appearance and practicality of the material is at the modern level. The surface of an aluminum hob is very difficult to scratch, but easy to clean.
- Enamel – proven over the years, durable and inexpensive surface still has its negative points: it is afraid of impacts that lead to chips.
- Stainless steel surface. The aesthetic appearance and heat resistance of such a coating have proven themselves from a very good side, but where without a fly in the ointment. To clean the stove, whether it is glossy or matte, it is necessary to use expensive cleaning products. Learn more about cleaning rules here.
- The glass-ceramic coating gives an ordinary household appliance an appeal that lasts for quite a long time. The colors of glass ceramics are usually black or brown, sometimes white. The glass-ceramic coating is not afraid only of exposure to liquids containing sugar.
Dimensions and number of burners. The newest gas stoves have mostly four burners, some models are equipped with one, two or even six burners. The power of the burner directly depends on its size (from 1 kW to 2.6 kW). Usually one burner of low power, a pair of medium and large ones is installed on one stove.
The size of the burners must be selected taking into account the size of the dishes that you use for cooking. The flame should heat the bottom, not the sides of the pan, thereby optimizing the cooking process. Newer designs of gas stoves are sometimes fitted with burners with multiple flame lines, which give particularly high power, allowing food to be cooked in a very short time. On such a multi-circuit burner, a variety of complex dishes are prepared (steaming, smoking, long-term stewing of meat, etc.).
Recently, engineering thought has stepped far forward and offers consumers new unusual burner designs.
- Burner “Mijotop”, the functionality of which is to slowly simmer the dish. The flame burns, covered with a lid, under which a “cushion” of hot air is formed, evenly distributing heat.
- The burner, which provides easy care for the surface of the stove, is a structure that is tightly adjacent to the surface of the stove. Such a burner heats up well and does not allow debris to accumulate.
- The “Pilot” burner guarantees a continuous flame and heats the bottom of the cookware in a targeted manner. Combustion takes place inside a hollow burner, so knocking down or blowing out the fire is very difficult. In case of extinction after a few seconds, thanks to the automation, the flame will flare up again.
- Burners in the form of a square, triangle or oval, for non-standard containers (ducklings, for example). With such burners, there is no need for grates – the wear-resistant cover of the burner completely replaces it.
There are models of stoves with one or two additional electric burners – a convenient substitute for a possible gas shutdown.
The size and functionality of the oven. Gas stoves are equipped with electric and gas ovens. Fans of eating food cooked on an open fire propagate a gas oven. But the electric one is far ahead in terms of functionality. In addition to the main ones, additional functions are offered: the type of control, the location of the heating elements, the presence of airflow and grill.
- An electric oven is inherently multifunctional. Thanks to the heating elements located throughout the oven (top, bottom, rear and sides), a fan that provides continuous air circulation and automation of a suitable mode, any dish will be cooked in such an oven.
- Less advanced, but no less common gas oven requires a little more skill to use it, but this is offset by the undeniable savings in operating costs. In the latest models of gas ovens, the blowing function already works, this became possible thanks to the appearance of non-blown hollow burners.
The grill can also be electric and gas. An electric grill is more expensive, but provides the required temperature with sufficient accuracy. A gas grill cannot afford the high accuracy of the temperature regime, but connoisseurs more than compensate for this inconvenience by giving food a taste fried on coals.
Operational safety. Like any other household appliance, the operation of which is associated with an open fire, a gas stove is a danger to others, but only if you do not follow the rules for use. On the other hand, manufacturers have tried to create security systems that do not require human intervention.
- To date, many models of gas stoves are equipped with gas control. This security system blocks the gas supply if the fire is drafty or flooded. Choose a stove model where this system is installed not only on the burners, but also in the oven.
- Another safety option is electric ignition. It replaces flammable matches and is ignited with a simple push of a button.
- The “parental control” option blocks the inclusion of gas by children when parents are not at home.
Which model of gas stove to choose
Let’s look at several models of gas stoves and compare their functionality:
Gorenje GN 470 W has a standard size of 50×60 cm. It fits even in a small kitchen without redevelopment and rearrangement of furniture. Four burners of different sizes and power – two of 1.65 kW, 1 kW and 3 kW. There is a gas oven for 56 liters. with a heating element located below. The inner walls of the oven are covered with self-cleaning EcoClean enamel. Complete with gas control system. Electric ignition of mechanical type.
Bosch HSF 44K30N9. It has an interesting appearance: the top glass cover leans back and serves as a wall protection against splashes of grease and moisture. This stove differs from the previous model in a large oven volume (+10 liters) and the presence of a gas grill.
Kaiser HGG 5521 KWs. The dimensions and functionality of the panel are no different from the models considered: the same four burners, the same electric ignition, the “gas control” functions, but the design of the oven has differences:
- rotating spit;
- infrared grill;
- timer with sound notification;
Modern gas stoves have all the options that ensure safety and convenience of work and differ only in additional functionality. It depends on you how much you need this or that function and how this will affect the cost of the gas stove.