When choosing a hob, one of the first questions that arises is how much power the purchased device should have. This is an important factor that will help you decide which panel is better to choose – gas, induction or electric. What depends on the power of the unit and how much it is for different models, find out further.
What determines the power of the hob?
The power of the hob is an important parameter for choosing an appliance for three main reasons:
- The speed with which your dishes undergo heat treatment depends on the power. Agree that it is better when there is an opportunity to cook dishes as quickly as possible.
- Modern stoves have burners of different capacities, and this is very convenient. If you only need a small amount of heat, why waste extra gas or electricity on useless air heating in the kitchen. However, the reverse side of the issue should also be taken into account – the power of the largest burner should also be sufficient to quickly cook a large pot of soup.
- In modern kitchens, air conditioners are often installed. When heat energy is released in too large quantities, the load on the air conditioner increases accordingly. At the same time, the extra costs for both heating the air and cooling it are completely unjustified.
An electrical appliance of traditional design consumes the greatest electrical power of all the types considered, so we will start the review with this option.
The most widespread on the market in our time have received stoves with four burners. Thus, the standard number of heating points has not changed over the decades of the existence of home stoves. The connection is also similar. However, manufacturers went to modernize the places of heating, so they have different capacities:
- the first burner has the smallest power – 0.4-1 kW;
- two burners have an average power of approximately 1.5 kW;
- the fourth burner has the highest power – up to 3 kW.
Thus, the total power consumption reaches 7 kW. However, there are electrical surfaces with additional properties, including:
- with the possibility of an adjustable increase in the total heating area for each point – additional rings around the disks;
- with the option of combining two adjacent burners to work with dishes of non-standard oblong shape – goose-cookers and the like;
- with a large number of heating points, that is, not four, but more, for example, six.
Accordingly, the total power can increase up to 10 kW.
Of course, with such indicators, it is necessary to think in advance how such energy-demanding equipment will be powered, otherwise the wires in the wall may suddenly burn out during operation of the panel. To restore, you will have to look for the place of the break, open the wall, connect the wires and close the wall again. This can be a big problem, so talk to a professional about your power grid’s capabilities.
Also, do not discount other electrical equipment that creates a load on your home network. These include a boiler for heating water, a washing machine, an iron, an electric kettle, a microwave, a laser printer. Each of them either consumes a large amount of electricity for a long time, or creates a short-term, but tangible peak load, or both at once. Try not to run your new electric stove at the same time as other powerful consumers.
Many modern electric hobs have burner heat sensors that warn you of a burn hazard if you touch the surface of the hob. If you have such an opportunity, try to purchase just such a model. Firstly, this will increase the safety of working at the stove, and secondly, knowing in advance that the disk is still hot, you can put other dishes on it and save on electricity.
The induction hob is the most modern type of equipment for heating food in the kitchen. Its average power is about 7 kW. However, please note that this is the consolidated power of the device.
Due to the fact that cooking on the induction surface takes a minimum of time, the simultaneous operation of all discs almost does not occur. And even if this happens, a short period of peak energy consumption is quickly replaced by inactivity, as the cooking is already over – the soup is cooked, the fish is fried, the kettle is boiled.
Thus, although the power of an induction cooker is equal to the power of a conventional electric stove, by heating only the bottom and bottom of the cookware (and not the air below it), electricity is consumed only for the heat treatment of products. It is important to note that saving energy requires the use of special dishes in cooking.
It is not easy to find a special power meter for determining this parameter near a household gas stove, since gas is not electricity, and it is impossible to directly measure the amount of energy spent (or received) in the process of burning hydrocarbon fuels at home.
So, in order to establish the power of such a panel, direct counting can be replaced by another method, for example, by the amount of gas that has passed through the meter. The calorific value of natural gas is 8-11 kW per hour/m. cube It is possible to evaluate the quality of gas in the kitchen only subjectively, but it is still realistic to determine the minimum and maximum values, based on the following parameters:
- the approximate power of one burner of a standard household gas hob is estimated at about 2-2.5 kW;
- the total calorific value of the entire gas appliance for 4 burners is approximately 8-10 kW.
The reduced power of the smaller burners is compensated for by the increased heat dissipation of the largest burner.
At the same time, the power of the burner depends on its diameter, which can be seen from the table (the data are given for the state when the burner gas valve is fully open):
|Burner diameter, mm
For the most common option (one place for 50 mm, two for 75 mm and one for 130 mm), the total power will be 8.5 kW.
Given such a parameter as power, you can make a competent choice of the hob. Since the market offers various options, everyone can choose the best model for themselves. At the same time, it should be borne in mind that by overpaying for the purchase of an energy-saving unit, in the future you can save on energy for many years.