The fumes that occur in the kitchen during cooking, the smell of food, soot, and condensate not only settle on furniture and kitchen utensils, but are also unpleasant for breathing and unhealthy. Therefore, if you want to make your presence in the kitchen more comfortable and harmless, installing an exhaust fan is essential here.
Purpose and principle of operation of the device
The exhaust fan provides air exchange in the room. It absorbs unpleasant and weighted air, and emits already purified and fresh.
Each apartment has holes in the wall that lead to the house’s common ventilation duct. But over time, such air vents become clogged, their power weakens, so the process of absorption of foreign particles in the air slows down. The exhaust fan improves the air exchange process.
The fan for the kitchen is a compact device with blades. The operation of the device is carried out after connecting to the mains. Starting to rotate actively, the blades draw in the “exhausted” air in the kitchen, push it through the device and push it out. The system of many models of fans prevents the return of such air thanks to a special valve.
Types of exhaust fans for the kitchen
Almost all models of exhaust fans that are on sale have a similar configuration, represented by a rotor and blades. And yet there are some differences.
Varieties of fans by type of rotor and blades
There are the following types of devices:
- Axial or axial. The blades with this design are located around the axis, along its circumference they rotate. Such models of fans have the simplest device and are most common in houses and apartments.
- Centrifugal or radial. The difference between such fans is that the blades on the rotor are arranged in a spiral. This contributes to the capture of air along the trajectory corresponding to the blades, which significantly increases the power of such devices. That is why radial exhaust fans are used in industrial kitchens.
- Diametral (the second name is “Squirrel Cage”). This type of fan is characterized by an elongated cylindrical shape, and its walls are long blades bent inward. The process of work lies in the fact that, while rotating, the rotor helps the blades to capture air and push it deep into the ventilation duct. This type of exhaust fan is used for professional kitchens.
Varieties of fans at the place of installation
According to this criterion, there are:
- Window fans. Such devices are mounted directly into a small window slot, which is cut out independently. All fumes from the cooking process are vented directly to the outside.
- Wall. These types of kitchen fans can be installed both on the inside and on the outside wall (that is, on the wall with a window). In the first case, the weighted air will be led to the ventilation shaft, and in the second case, to the street.
- Ceiling. As a rule, such fans are built into a false ceiling, since in the space between the ceiling plate and the canopy they lead a passage into the ventilation duct.
There is another type of kitchen fans, which is presented in the form of a chandelier. The work of the blades is carried out in a circle, thereby accelerating the air. Of course, such fans do not have high power, so it is advisable to use them in the dining room or above the dining area. Their use is more focused on the aesthetics of the room.
Instrument selection criteria
A responsible approach to choosing an air-purifying device for the kitchen guarantees a comfortable stay in the kitchen during its operation. When choosing an exhaust fan, you should pay attention to:
This parameter is taken into account based on the area of the kitchen. The larger the room, the higher the performance of the device should be. And vice versa – for a small kitchen, a low fan power will be enough.
In order to accurately calculate the device performance required for your kitchen, use a special formula: the volume of the kitchen (excluding the furniture located in it) is multiplied by a factor of 10.
Fan design according to installation
In other words, if it is meant to embed an exhaust device into a wall or an exhaust duct in a wall, then you need to purchase a model for wall mounting. Similarly: for installation on the ceiling – a fan for ceiling installation, for window installation – the corresponding model.
The operation of the fan is accompanied by the publication of characteristic noises, and this should be taken into account. It is recommended not to take models that emit a sound intensity of more than 40 decibels. Accordingly, the lower the noise figure, the less noticeable the exhaust fan will be during operation.
The presence of a check valve
This criterion should be taken into account when it comes to choosing a wall or window fan. The presence of a valve will help prevent the penetration of foreign odors from the ventilation duct or the street.
Resistant to high moisture and temperature changes
These criteria are relevant for a kitchen fan, since temperature changes and condensation constantly occur in the kitchen.
The purchased device must not only fit perfectly into the place of its installation, but also close the borders of the old frame from the ventilation duct.
According to this criterion, fans with automatic control and mechanical control are distinguished.
The first option is the most convenient. It is equipped with motion sensors, temperature and humidity change sensors, and depending on the indicators of these parameters, it changes the intensity of its work or turns off completely. Controlled with a remote control.
The second type – turning on / off the fan is carried out using the power cord or using a separate switch.
The appearance of the exhaust fan should fit into the overall interior of the kitchen.
The best models of exhaust fans for the kitchen
Exhaust fans differ in many parameters, including cost. In the matter of choice, it is of no small importance, besides, among the budget options you can find quite worthy exhaust fans.
Next, several models of popular exhaust fans will be presented. Their merits are appreciated by many buyers whose reviews recommend them for purchase.
ERA D 100 (PROFIT 4 12V)
Budget hood for a small kitchen. Its cost is 500-550 rubles in specialized stores.
“Era” D 100 is a representative of an axial exhaust fan that fits perfectly into the ventilation duct slot. The case is made of durable plastic, which is protected from fading in the sun. The rotor does not overheat and is protected from condensation.
The emitted noise level does not exceed 35 dB.
Planet Perfecto 100K with check valve
The device is a typical representative of an axial fan, the rotor of which is equipped with a check valve. This is very convenient for the kitchen, because after turning off the fan, an unpleasant smell does not return to the room.
The power of the device is 14 W, which is quite suitable for a small kitchen. In addition, the acoustic pressure of Planet Perfecto 100K does not exceed normal values - 39 dB.
DICITI D 100 (PARUS 4C)
Original in its design (available in several colors), the exhaust fan is made of durable ABS plastic, which protects the device from thermal changes, excessive moisture and fading.
The manufacturer guarantees 40,000 hours of continuous operation of the fan, which is made possible by the engine power of 16 watts. The level of noise waves does not exceed 35 dB. The fan reliably holds the absorbed air, preventing its return.
Fan Vents TT PRO 200
It is recommended to use it in the kitchen, where there is high humidity and frequent temperature changes. The case is made of high-quality, durable plastic, which protects the internal “stuffing” of the device. The latter is represented by a rotor and a terminal box, which are fixed with clamps.
Maximum power – 108 watts. Acoustic pressure – 45 dB.
Installing a fan in the kitchen: step by step instructions, tips
Installation of window and wall fans differ from each other. The first option is easier to install, regardless of weather conditions and repairs in the apartment. But the wall-mounted device will have to be combined with the general alteration of the room, as well as provide for a few more nuances.
Mounting a window-type fan
Step by step guide:
- As a rule, in typical apartments, the kitchen room is equipped with one window. If there are several of them, then you need to build in the fan in what is located closer to the cooking zone – to the stove.
- The height for embedding is chosen as high as possible, but so that at least 20 cm remain to the edge of the window glass.
- The parameters of the fan are measured (length and width), without violating the boundaries of the casing, and according to the measurements, a connector is cut out in the window glass with a glass cutter.
- Rubber tabs are installed on the fan casing, which will help to better fix the device on the window. After that, the fan is placed in the prepared slot.
- A rotor with blades is placed in the casing so that the edges of the latter do not touch the walls.
- After these manipulations, the fan is connected to the mains and the correct installation is checked. If everything works, then proceed to install the protective grille.
Installation of a wall-mounted exhaust fan
The installation steps described below are suitable for installing the fan on both the outside and the outside (window) wall. The only difference is that when installing a fan on an outer wall, it is covered with grilles not only inside the room, but also outside.
Step by step guide:
- Before installing the wall-mounted kitchen fan, you need to prepare the ventilation duct. If necessary, it is cleaned. If the house has just been commissioned, this may not be required.
- Most often, the ventilation duct has an exit to the kitchen in the form of a hole closed with a grate. It needs to be removed. If the hole in the wall is not suitable for installing a fan, it must be enlarged. To do this, use a hammer drill for concrete.
- After that, a small piece of pipe is installed in the hole, and then the ventilation device itself.
- At the end of the installation, check the operation of the device by connecting it to the power supply. If everything works properly, then install a protective surface grille.
An exhaust fan for the kitchen is a necessary device, especially if the kitchen is small and the installation of an extractor hood in it is inappropriate or an addition to the installed hood is necessary. The fan will make your stay in the kitchen more comfortable, as it will absorb all the fumes and odors, and release fresh and pleasant air.