A planetary mixer is a kitchen device designed for kneading and whipping. It is necessarily equipped with a nozzle rotating around its axis and around the entire circumference of the bowl. This allows you to achieve the ideal quality of the mixture in the shortest time. Not a single confectioner can do without it. The editors of Expertology.ru figured out how to choose a device of this kind and made a rating of the best models.
How to choose a planetary pastry mixer
A planetary mixer for a confectioner should be able to knead the dough, beat cream, marshmallows, meringue. Without such a device, it is simply impossible to cook pasta or a large batch of bird’s milk. In order for such a device to fully satisfy the consumer, when choosing it is important to pay attention to the following parameters:
- Body and nozzle material. They are usually made of high quality plastic or stainless steel. The latter are more durable, weighty and more expensive than plastic models. The nozzles of the unit must be made of food grade stainless steel. It is also useful to pay attention to the thickness of the metal (thinner parts are less valued).
- Capacity and material of the bowl. If the confectioner is engaged in the production of delicacies at home, then he will be quite satisfied with the volume – 6-10 liters. If this is already a whole pastry shop or a larger establishment, then 15-20 liters will be needed. The bowl material must be stainless steel. Glass bowls are more environmentally friendly, but fragile. If not handled carefully, they are easily damaged.
- Mixer power. The most successful option is considered to be power from 800 watts. In cheaper models, it can be in the region of 500 W, but in this case, it is often difficult to beat dense masses. It is also important to consider that if the unit has several sockets, then the total power is divided into them.
- Control Panel. They are sensory and mechanical. Each type has its pros and cons. The touchpad is easy to clean, while the mechanical one is more reliable.
- Speed control. In professional models, the speed control lever has a minimum of 6 positions. This allows you to mix, mix and beat better, choosing the right speed for a specific product. The lower the speed, the more limited the capabilities of the device. Advanced models are additionally equipped with: soft start, turbo or pulse mode.
- Safety. The minimum security system may include: protection against overheating, against restarting, against turning on when the bowl is incorrectly installed, from turning on when the lid is open.
- Working with the mixer will become more comfortable if there is: a cord compartment that helps to store the device in the most compact way, rubberized legs that allow you to keep the mixer on the table and not slip while whipping. It’s nice to have a special lid for the bowl. During whipping, it protects the working area.
It should also be taken into account that the planetary mixer does not work well with small volumes. He will not be able to beat one egg, because the whisk in such a mixer does not reach the bottom of the bowl (1-2 cm remains to the bottom). Also, the diameter of the rotation of the whisk is smaller than the diameter of the bowl. If, nevertheless, it is planned to use the unit for a small amount of product, then it is necessary to select models in which the height of the whisk is adjustable.
The best planetary mixers for the pastry chef
We have included in the rating models from different price segments from Russian and foreign manufacturers. Some of them are suitable exclusively for home use by amateur confectioners. And others may well be used for semi-industrial purposes in small confectioneries.
Sirman Plutone 10
The Italian brand Sirman launches the PLUTONE LT 10 planetary mixer, designed for kneading liquid and medium consistency dough, including protein, custard, yeast, biscuit. The device is completely metal. The removable bowl from stainless steel is calculated on 10 l. Construction height ― 63 cm. In a set of delivery: a hook, a nimbus, a spatula.
Consumers like the high whipping speed and that the stainless steel bowl is easy to clean, maintain and remove for a thorough wash. Also, all parts that come into contact with food can be easily cleaned and disassembled. The bowl is lifted with a lever. Microswitches on the mesh lid and bowl are provided for safe operation.
- durable and reliable;
- perfectly kneads the dough of liquid and medium consistency;
- the bowl and other parts are easy to clean;
- smooth speed control;
- high whipping speed.
- not suitable for too steep dough.
The American brand KitchenAid launches the 5KSM7580XECA professional planetary mixer with a 6.9L lifting bowl. Thanks to the powerful direct drive, the mixer easily kneads a large number of ingredients. It can cook up to 4 kg of dough at a time. Due to the improved design of the motor and drive, the device has a reduced noise level and reduced power consumption.
In reviews, consumers praise the device for the shock-resistant bowl, which prevents food from oxidizing, does not saturate them with extraneous odors, and is dishwasher safe. They also like that the device has 10 speeds. The protective rim prevents pollution of the surrounding area. But the device is equipped with a minimum number of nozzles and standard options.
- polished stainless steel bowl;
- perfectly kneads dough and creams;
- reduced noise level;
- 10 speeds;
- protective rim;
- The bowl can be washed in the dishwasher.
- Few attachments included.
The Hendi brand from the Netherlands produces a planetary mixer 222843, designed for 20 liters. It has a durable screw drive and gears. The maximum loading of the device ― 5 kg. Complete set: bowl from stainless steel, nimbus, a nozzle for mixing and a dough hook. Also provided is a steel body with a high quality white enamel coating and a plastic protective bowl screen.
Confectioners love the easy-to-use digital control panel. And the fact that safety switches and overload protection are provided ensures safe operation. If the bowl is installed incorrectly, the switch-on fuses will trip. The design feature of the mixer allows it to be installed on the floor. But the device only has 3 adjustable speeds.
- the bowl is designed for 20 l;
- steel case with enamel coating;
- simple control panel;
- safety switches;
- bowl protective screen.
- only 3 speeds.
The well-known Asian brand Hurakan releases the HKN-IP10FM planetary mixer. It is designed for kneading various types of dough with a liquid consistency, including protein, custard, yeast, biscuit, as well as for whipping creams. The volume of the device is 10 liters. The set includes whisk, hook and spatula. The mixer has three fixed speeds.
All main elements of the mixer that come into contact with products are made of high quality food grade stainless steel. Capacity removable with measured marks for flour. Above the bowl there is a lattice protection, which excludes contact with the kneading body when loading additional ingredients. The working mechanism is fixed. Way of installation of the device ― floor. The electric motor is located inside the case.
- all elements are made of stainless food steel;
- quickly and efficiently mixes the mixture;
- versatile and easy to use;
- can be installed on the floor;
- there is a lattice protection on the bowl.
- only 3 fixed speeds.
The VIATTO brand, manufactured in China, launches the VA-SMB7SS tabletop planetary mixer. It is designed for whipping and kneading various confectionery masses and dough (biscuit, yeast, pancake, custard). The device has a smooth (stepless) speed control, which allows you to choose the optimal operating mode for cooking various products.
Consumers praise the device’s removable stainless steel bowl. They like the plastic protective cover and the fact that the case is also stainless. Confectioners note that such a device easily beats up to 22 eggs. And the volume of the bowl for 7 liters allows you to load up to 750 g of flour. 3 nozzles are provided in a set: a hook and a spatula ― from stainless steel, a nimbus ― from aluminum and stainless steel.
- smooth speed control;
- body and bowl are made of stainless steel;
- lifting beam;
- plastic protective cover.
- minimum equipment.
Gastromix B 7 Eco
Hong Kong-based brand Gastromix launches the B 7 Eco stand mixer. This compact unit copes with kneading dough of various consistencies, whipping and general mixing. The robust design of the device guarantees safe operation and a long service life. The removable dezha is calculated on 7 l. The case of the device is plastic.
Consumers like 6 speed settings and the presence of pulsation, as well as the presence of a protective plastic cover. The complete set of the device is the simplest: whisk, hook, spatula. But they are made of stainless steel. The device will not cope with large tasks, but it will perfectly help out the ordinary amateur pastry chef. However, users note that such a planetary mixer can only work continuously for 5 minutes, and then it needs to be given a break of 10-15 minutes.
- 6 speed modes + pulsation;
- small unit;
- accessories from stainless steel;
- plastic protective cover.
- can only work continuously for 5 minutes.
The Russian brand Rauberg, whose products are manufactured in China, produces the RPM-40QM planetary mixer. It is suitable for kneading any dough, beating eggs, creams, cream and other compounds. The volume of the bowl made of stainless steel is 5 liters. The kit includes: whisk, hook, beater. The body of the model is made of plastic. There are stainless steel inserts.
Dezha has a protective cover with a hole for adding ingredients. It also provides protection against overheating and overload. The working part of the device leans back by turning the lever. The device has a mechanical control. The mixer has 6 speed settings. A convenient rotary control is used to set the operating mode.
- 6 speed + impulse mode;
- classic equipment;
- protection against overheating and overload;
- It mixes well both thick and liquid dough.
- small capacity.
In our rating, we also included the planetary mixer GL-SM10GR from the Russian trademark Gemlux. Such a device belongs to the desktop. It is equipped with electronic control. The mixer has 6 stirrer speeds, and also has a pulse mode. The kneading time is set using a timer. Its range is from 30 seconds to 20 minutes (half-minute increments). All information is displayed on the LCD display.
The body of this planetary mixer is aluminum. To make it easier to install the bowl, its working head leans back. Dezha holds 10 liters. It is made of stainless steel and has carrying handles. The manufacturer also provided a protective plastic cover with holes that allow you to add ingredients during the kneading process. Most consumers are very satisfied with such a planetary mixer, but some are confused by its too noisy operation.
- electronic control;
- LCD display;
- aluminium case;
- copes well with different types of tests;
- quality assembly.
- too noisy at work.
The Italian brand Smeg has developed a model of a stationary planetary mixer SMF02 with a bowl volume of 4.8 liters. Its rotation speed adjustment implies 10 steps with a smooth start. Many people like the attractive and modern appearance of this device. The legs are rubberized, due to which the model feels stable on any surface.
The bowl has a special handle, so it is convenient to put it on and take it off the stand. The mixer perfectly mixes both light cream and thick dough. The case is aluminum, will last a very long time, without any damage or other defects. The device is controlled by a mechanical button. Despite the powerful motor, the unit is not too noisy.
- attractive design;
- whisks quickly;
- not too noisy;
- rubberized legs;
- polished stainless steel bowl.
- overheats when kneading a thick dough.
The Kitfort trademark produces an all-metal planetary mixer KT-1391. The set includes 3 attachments for whipping, mashing and a hook for kneading stiff dough. The device has 8 speeds and a forward and backward countdown timer. The latter allows you to set the mixing time, after which the device will turn itself off.
The 5.2 liter bowl is made of stainless steel. It has a comfortable handle. The lid prevents splashing and allows you to add ingredients while you work. The mixer is heavy, has rubberized legs, which ensures the stability of the device during mixing and whipping. Many are impressed by the original design and quiet operation at maximum speed.
- 8 speeds of work;
- forward and backward countdown timer;
- attractive design;
- quiet at high speeds;
- all-metal body.
- does not knead a small amount of ingredients.