A can opener is an important helper in the kitchen. It will allow you to quickly and effortlessly open any cans for cooking or treats. Unlike old can openers, modern can openers can be used even by children – such tools are safe and easy to use.
But in order for the knife to serve for a long time and be comfortable, it is necessary to choose it correctly. We have selected the top 5 can openers (both mechanical and electric). This will let you know which models to look for when buying a tool.
How to choose the best can opener
Even choosing something as simple as a mechanical or electric can opener can be a challenge. Despite the seeming ease of selection, this tool must be bought based on some features. Only then will you find a truly durable and comfortable model.
- The form. Mechanical “openers” come in many forms. Most often you can find a variant with handles – it snaps onto the bank and rotates with the help of a valve on its side. There are round models that are put on a jar and rotated by hand. Which one is more convenient is up to you.
- Material. Pay attention to the thickness and quality of the stainless steel from which the mechanical knife is made. The more reliable the material, the longer the tool will last in the kitchen. It is better not to take mechanical models with plastic handles – they last less than metal ones. This does not apply to “round” models – their body does not undergo such loads. Electric can openers should also be made from quality raw materials – especially the cutting mechanism itself.
- Build quality. It is important that all parts fit well to each other, do not hang out and do not play. If there are open metal edges, they must be treated from sharp burrs.
- Comfortable handles. They should be ergonomic and fit comfortably in the hand. Otherwise, you will not be able to fix the mechanical knife on the can and open it normally. If you have a small hand, choose knives with thinner handles to make them more comfortable to hold.
- Battery. Electric knives can work both from batteries and from the mains. The latest models are usually quite large and heavy – they need to find a place in the kitchen. Battery-operated knives are compact, they are easier to arrange even in a small kitchen.
Five simple parameters will help you explore the potential convenience and quality of the model and make the right choice for your kitchen.
Rating of the best can openers
The best mechanical can openers
Joseph Joseph Can-Do
In fact, the most convenient can opener of all. It has a convenient round shape – no need to hold the handles to open the jar. On the sides there are special depressions for the fingers. The mechanism implies a minimum of effort – just put a knife on the jar, press the button on the side, and then turn the valve. The lid will cut clean in just a few turns.
The tool is assembled from thick ABS plastic and the main body is made of stainless steel. Everything that comes into contact with the can is made of stainless steel. The plastic shell is rather decorative – the knife will last a long time. An important feature is that the tool cuts the lid from the side, not from the top. Therefore, there may be sharp edges that are easier to hit.
- The best knife for ease of use.
- Can be used with one hand.
- Suitable for right-handers and left-handers.
- There are sharp edges.
See also: 6 best fish scalers
An elegant can opener with handles. The tool is made entirely of stainless steel. The handles and the screw are covered with plastic on top for ease of use. The pleasant curve of the handles allows you to comfortably feel the “opener” in your hand. The tool is more suitable for the right hand. The cutting roller opens the top of the lid without cutting off the rounded edges around it. This is handy if you don’t want to cut yourself. But small edges (almost imperceptible) on the inside may remain, so you need to be more careful when removing the product.
A nice feature of the model is in the removable cutting roller. If it starts to get dull, it is easy to remove it from the tool and sharpen it. Therefore, the knife can be called almost eternal – even the manufacturer gives a guarantee of 5 years. In the reviews, some customers notice that the tool is tight – you should take this into account before buying.
- Good ergonomics of the handles.
- Removable cutting wheel.
- Slightly tight.
A bright representative of the Ingenio kitchen product line, this knife is able to take its rightful place in your kitchen. The base of the tool is made of stainless steel. Handles are covered with a thick layer of heat-resistant plastic that can withstand heat up to 220 degrees. The shape of the handles is very comfortable and will fit in any hand. But if the plastic breaks off, then using the knife will be uncomfortable.
On the “metal” side, in addition to the cutting tool, there is a bottle opener. And on the handle there is an additional plastic prong for opening jars of pickles. The plastic casing of the propeller is rounded. The reviews note that the mechanism rotates quite easily – even a child can handle the jar.
- Additional bottle and can opener function.
- Easily opens a jar.
- Almost entirely plastic handles.
Regent inox Linea CUCINA 93-CN-04-02
Not a bad but not perfect can opener with its drawbacks. The rounded shape of this Italian tool will allow you to comfortably hold it during operation. Handles, despite the biconvex shape, fit comfortably in the palm of your hand and do not slip. The screw has a wavy shape and is covered with a rough plastic that improves grip on the fingers and makes it easier to open.
Unfortunately, all convenience can be crossed out by defective models, which are sometimes found on sale. Some customers have complained that they have received poorly functioning can openers. High-quality models open cans like clockwork – they easily cut through tin and do not leave strong burrs on the can.
- Soft and comfortable plastic on the screw and handles.
- Stylish design.
- Sometimes defective unadjusted models come across.
best electric can opener
Massive electric can opener in a stylish black design. A power of 70 W will allow you to spend almost no electricity on work at the same time and at the same time open cans in a few seconds.
There is a magnet on the knife lever, which will prevent the lid from falling into the product. When opened, the can will rotate itself – you just need to hold it so that it does not move or fall. The manufacturer claims two additional functions – a bottle opener and knife sharpening.
The size of the opener is universal – you can put a jar of almost any size into it – both flat and small with caviar, and huge with stew or pineapples. It is convenient that the tool itself stops when it completely cuts off the cover. After opening the jar, it is enough to carefully unhook it from the knife.
- Fully independent opening of the lid.
- Several additional features.
- Large, massive model, requires a free outlet.