Oven: gas or electric – differences and features
Which oven is better – gas or electric? The traditional gas oven, according to independent ratings and surveys, is gradually becoming a thing of the past, giving way to more advanced and functional electric ovens. It is easy to be convinced of this even by the offer of stores, and the number of models presented there. Choosing an acceptable gas oven today is already somewhat problematic. But the choice of electric ovens is huge, and impresses with its variety. There are a number of legitimate and objective reasons for this, which determine the choice.
Modern gas ovens, despite their few advantages (the usual ease of operation and quick warm-up), still have serious drawbacks:
- the parameters of the supplied gas mixture are not stable and are different each time;
- release of carbon dioxide and combustion products;
- oxygen burnout and increased dryness of the air in the room;
- it is impossible to set and control the exact temperature in the chamber;
- and, perhaps, the most important of them and the most significant for every housewife is the lack of complete confidence in the final result.
The electric oven is inferior to the first except perhaps only in the heating time, but the rest of its differences completely level this difference:
- Extended functionality and a huge arsenal of useful functions, including: several types of grill, microwave, steamer, defrosting, cooking sourdough and sourdough, “multi-cook” with a set of standard programs for products (pork, beef, poultry, fish, vegetables) and dishes (cake , porridge, pizza).
- Accuracy of setting, control and regulation of temperature (from 50°С to 250–275°С) with various heating modes – upper, lower, combined, and uniform convection of flows in several levels with a turbo mode. Manufacturers additionally equip some of their models with a temperature probe to determine the temperature inside the dish during its preparation. Particularly noteworthy are: excellent tightness, low heat transfer to nearby kitchen furniture and child protection (with door locks to prevent accidental opening). Thanks to the constructive solution of the door with the use of multilayer double-glazed windows, the outer glass heats up only to a comfortable temperature. Even if a child accidentally touches him, there will be no burn and unpleasant consequences for him.
- Cleaning of the working area – catalytic (special plates in the walls of the oven break down and absorb fat), pyrolytic (heating to a very high temperature, at which fats and fumes burn out to ash), hydrolysis (softening of secretions with hot steam).
- Easier to maintain and operate, and do not emit harmful combustion products.
Electric oven – the principle of operation and internal arrangement
The electric oven is heated by internal heating elements. As a rule, these heating elements are located on three sides in the walls of the cabinet, which makes it possible to evenly heat and bake the dish. Modern models are equipped with a convection fan that tirelessly mixes the currents of cold and hot air inside the oven. This makes it possible to speed up and improve the process of cooking, as well as to cook for a couple, which means to please yourself and your family with healthy and dietary food.
The grill is located at the top of the electric ovens. Thanks to this, our dishes get a ruddy crust, and the meat acquires an incomparable aroma, but retains the juiciness and density of the texture.
Modern ovens have such convenient devices as a skewer and temperature probe. The skewer is traditionally used for cooking large pieces of meat, but, as practice shows, in everyday life this is rather an excess.
The temperature probe helps to control the temperature inside the dish. With such a device, you can avoid serving raw dishes to the table – underbaked pies or undercooked pieces of meat.
A good oven has telescopic pan guides. With such “telescopes” you will not turn over your food container and will not “aim” trying to get into the groove of the oven.
You can not ignore the oven door. In the classic version of electric ovens, the door opens traditionally – from top to bottom. But a more convenient option is the side opening of the oven doors – then nothing prevents you from coming close to the oven and conveniently grabbing a heavy and hot baking sheet.
It’s good when the oven door is made of heat-resistant glass – so you can visually control the culinary process inside the oven. However, we advise you to purchase a model with double glass, or better – with removable glasses – so that it is easier to wash them. After all, the thicker the glass, the better the thermal insulation.
You can control an electric oven using electronics or mechanical regulators. The latter are simple and reliable, there is simply nothing to break. This model was also included in the rating of the most purchased ovens for 2017. Electronics is more sensitive, but at the same time provides more opportunities for settings and control of cooking – temperature, time of work processes, etc.
What your oven will be equipped with depends on your personal preferences, financial capabilities and the tasks that your appliance will have to perform.
How to choose: basic parameters
Technical indicators that will help you choose one model from many others are:
- Dimensions. Electric built-in household ovens can be full-sized, compact or narrow. Often, the difference is in height and width. A standard oven has parameters of approximately 50-60 cm, in smaller versions – 5-10 cm less.
- Oven volume. The working volume depends on the dimensions of the oven. A full-sized oven holds 55-65 liters, but compact and narrow ones – about 35-45 liters. If you cook often and a lot, it makes sense to allocate more free space for the device. If you have a small family and don’t have time for culinary delights, you can save money and buy a small built-in oven.
- energy efficiency. Generally accepted standards apply here – the most economical appliances belong to class A and B. But in general, it should be noted that any selected electric oven consumes from 2 to 4 kW.
- Degree of protection. Advanced models have auto-shutdown functions in case of overheating, blocking and protection against unauthorized pressing, and tangential cooling technology is also used – hot air is removed and cold air is taken from the bottom of the door.
- cleaning. It can be traditional manual or catalytic, when contaminants are removed during cooking, steam – during the evaporation of liquid and detergents, pyrolytic – burning dirt and fat at 500 °.
- Temperature conditions. For normal use, an operating temperature limit of 200-220°C is sufficient.
- Remote control. Ovens have become so “advanced” that they can be controlled remotely – from a smartphone or tablet. It can be considered an unnecessary function, but on the other hand, it is convenient.
So, which built-in electric oven is better to choose – economical or full-sized, with many additional features and accessories, or simple, and which is the most reliable option? We are sure that after you read our rating of the best manufacturers and the most optimal models, the answer to this question will become obvious.
Types of ovens
Manufacturers produce an oven with electric heating of the chamber in two types – an independent version that works offline, and appliances that come with the hob. They have the same working principle. The cabinet and the products inside are warmed up by the hot air flow created by the built-in electrical elements.
In all other respects, each type has different technical features. These include the following.
- The cabinet, combined with the cooking appliance, is structurally inseparable, since these two elements are mounted one above the other. The main technical feature of such a unit is a common function control panel. The hob and built-in oven have the same design. This feature can be problematic when you want to make a change in the interior of the kitchen with redevelopment. In all other respects, this type of device technically does not create inconvenience to the user.
- The stand-alone oven is a versatile appliance. The main design feature of this type is that it works offline. All its options do not depend on the functioning of other kitchen units and act on the command of the consumer. Its only minor drawback is that this device requires an additional electrical network point for connection. As for design, on the marketplaces of household appliances you can easily pick up a cabinet that will perfectly complement the most sophisticated kitchen interior.
In addition to the considered types, these devices are produced by manufacturers with statistical capabilities and a large set of functions. The first units differ from the second ones in that they have a limited number of options.
Today, oven manufacturers offer users mainly three cleaning methods – traditional, pyrolysis and catalytic cleaning. Each of them is characterized by its own technology. This factor must be taken into account when choosing an electric oven for the kitchen.
The essence of the traditional method is to clean the surface of the device, covered with enamel, with a sponge and detergent. Typically, the manufacturer refers to such a coating as an easy-to-clean surface.
The technology of catalytic cleaning of the oven is independent of detergents and other standard methods. The coating of the chambers inside the appliance has pores that contribute to the decomposition of fatty deposits that form on the surface during the cooking process. Unfortunately, as practice shows, such purification did not justify itself. The surface has to be washed with detergents after this cleaning method.
The most effective among these methods is the pyrolysis method of cleaning. It is completely independent of the technologies mentioned above. Its principle is to burn fat deposits on the walls of the oven under the influence of high temperature. For its implementation, the cabinet is equipped with a special function that allows you to heat it up to 600 ° C. The user will need to perform three manipulations – close the cabinet door, turn on the cleaning function, wait the required time and open the door.
Equipment and additional functions
Function modes and useful options:
- Microwave – two devices in one, a very good solution for those who prefer to quickly and often reheat or defrost food on the go. Expensive and advanced European brands (for example, Bosch and Siemens) offer up to 12 modes and about 70 automatic programs for the microwave function only. For ease of use, they are installed in a column approximately at chest level.
- Double boiler – to generate steam, they are equipped with: either a compartment for a water tank, or a container-tray, or they are connected to a water supply (which is especially convenient for automatically maintaining the required level). In this case, the steam does not penetrate outside, but circulates inside the oven, and the condensate settles at the bottom and is then removed or discharged into the drain.
- temperature probe – a very useful tool (a modified thermometer) that is placed inside the product and monitors its temperature and degree of roasting. At the right moment, he gives a signal to turn off. With such an innovation, constant duty at the stove and the fear of overcooking disappear.
- “Pizza” is a special function of ultra-fast uniform heating by several heating elements with flow convention, creating the effect typical of stone ovens. As a result, in a matter of minutes, the pizza is baked evenly and with perfectly melted cheese.
- Defrosting – natural fan blowing at 30–50°C, or no heating at all. Unlike the traditional and very common microwave method (in which the edges of the product are “boiled” and the middle is raw), in this case we get an absolutely uniform state, although a little longer in time.
- 3D-heat – Simultaneous activation of all three heating elements with volumetric convection. As a result, the oven heats up quickly and bakes evenly.
- Vario grill – separate adjustment of power and heating areas depending on the size of the product (not the entire grill is used, but only its corresponding section).
- Low temperature gentle mode from 30 to 100°C – for delicate products (fish), yoghurts and heating dishes before serving the table.
- Cold air – this is a tangential cooling of the walls with a cold air flow, which prevents unwanted heating of adjacent furniture.
- Fixing racks and trays on the door allows you to pull them out automatically when opened, which is very convenient, especially with the help of telescopic guides.
Electric ovens – a detailed rating and market analysis in 2016, Based on statistical data of real demand and consumer preferences of numerous Internet users, it shows that out of the whole variety of brands on the market, the most popular among the Russian consumer are products of such well-known brands as (sales market share, in percentage terms):
- 17% – Gorenje (Slovenia, Velenje – gorenje.ru);
- fourteen% – Bosch (Robert Bosch GmbH, Gerlingen / Baden-Württemberg, Germany – bosch.ru);
- 12% – Electrolux (AB Electrolux, Stockholm, Sweden – electrolux.ru);
- 9% – Gefest (JV OJSC Brestgazoapparat, Brest, Belarus – gefest.com);
- 7% – Hotpoint-Ariston (Indesit Company, Fabriano, Italy, http://www.hotpoint.ru/);
- 6% – Hansa (German AMICA WRONKI SA, production facilities in Poland – hansa.ru);
- 5% market share:
– Siemens (Siemens AG, Berlin / Munich – siemens-home.ru);
– Samsung (Samsung Group, Seoul, Korea – samsung.com/ru);
- four% – Darina (JSC Gazprom Household Systems, Chaikovsky, Perm Territory, industrial zone Sutuzovo – darina.su);
- 3% respectively:
– Zanussi (AB Electrolux, Italy – zanussi.ru);
– Whirlpool (Whirlpool Europe, assembly plant in Poland – whirlpool.ru);
- 15% – other manufacturers.
Based on the rating, it is not difficult to understand that the best sellers offer the buyer the best features and quality at a reasonable price!
The most popular electric ovens: Top rating models
Sales Ranking Leaders built-in electric ovensas of the end of April this year, is the following ten models (volume, liters / power, kW / number of modes / energy class / price range, rub.):
– BO 73-CLI (67 / 3.3 / 7 / A / 25450-31590) – “retro” style, triple glass, telescopic rails, automatic shutdown, thermostat, grill, convection, timer, steam cleaning;
– BO 635-E20 (67 / 2.7 / 6 / A / 26260-31800) – double glass, AquaClean, child protection, touch control;
– BO 53-CLI (67 / 2.7 / 4 / A / 24469-29330) – lattice guides for baking sheets;
– 622-02 (52 / 3.3 / 6 / A / 14530-16740) – automatic, seven colors;
– 602-02 (52 / 3.3 / 6 / A / 13470-19260);
– 602-01 (51 / 2.05 / 4 / A / 9880-14420);
- Electrolux EZB 52410 (60 / 2.7 / 6 / A+ / 17990–31310);
- Bosch HBA 23BN21 (62 / 2.7 / 7 / A ++ / 17990–31310) – an innovative advanced oven with a characteristic German retro design, an additional option – fast heating mode, maximum temperature 270 ° C;
- Hansa BOEI62000015 (60 / 2.75 / 4 / A + / 11130–16120) – strict laconic classics, nothing more, 250 ° С;
- Samsung BFN1351B (65 / 3.2 / 12 / A+ / 18179–27050) – three-layer glass, pyrolytic cleaning, child protection, temperature range up to 300°C.
Based on the rating, you can choose the best offer on the market, be sure to check out the top offers from the presented manufacturers.
The rating criteria that consumers are guided by when choosing a built-in electric oven are as follows:
- heating method – electric (92%), and gas (8%) – electric ovens are in increasing demand;
- design and construction – modern classic style (79%), retro (21%) – classic is still in fashion;
- usable volume (l) – <50 (9%), up to 55 inclusive (12%), up to 60 (25%), and above (54%);
- energy class – A (81%), A + (7%), A ++ (10%);
- additional options – telescopic rails (39%) – an extremely useful feature, do not neglect it, door lock (35%) – useful for families with children, grease filter (11%), temperature probe (7%), steamer (5%) .
Therefore, taking into account all of the above, experts recommend a balanced and deliberate approach to the selection process, guided by considerations of expediency – sufficiency and necessity. The most expensive does not always mean the best! And for unclaimed options and bells and whistles, you will have to pay extra.