The long-term operation of the refrigerator provides comfort to its owners.
To improve the functionality of the device, regular sanitary and hygienic measures should be taken. One of these procedures is cleaning the refrigerator from excess dirt and ice.
Defrosting the refrigerator is an indispensable item in the care of the device. Failure to follow this procedure will result in performance problems, defects, and equipment malfunction.
Each manufacturer recommends its own degree of cleaning the refrigerator. Be sure to read the instructions before defrosting.
Why defrost the refrigerator
There can be several reasons for defrosting equipment.
First of all, this is getting rid of excess ice located on the walls of the refrigerator. In addition, regular defrosting of the refrigerator helps to avoid unpleasant odors and colonies of microorganisms that are resistant to low temperatures.
Despite the common belief that bacteria do not multiply at sub-zero temperatures, there are varieties of them that this temperature is suitable for.
Defrosting the refrigerator extends the life of the product.
The following refrigerators should be defrosted:
- Having a No Frost, Frost Free, Full No Frost system. They are protected from ice raids, but despite this they need periodic defrosting. A similar freezing system has been introduced into the device of many modern refrigerators of well-known brands — Indesit, Bosch, Stinol, Samsung, Liebherr, Atlant.
- Old models No Frost. They are not fully protected from icing. Therefore, they must be cleaned.
- Without No Frost system. They are absolutely not protected from the formation of frost and ice. It costs to defrost them much more often than other options.
Defrosting can take place at home or with the help of professional equipment.
The first option is preferable when we are talking about modern technology. Professional defrosting is necessary when it comes to old equipment and a huge amount of frozen ice or dirt.
Each model needs its own defrost interval.
For example, less serious requirements are put forward for the Frost Free and Full No Frost technique. They only need to be thawed once a year. In this case, it is necessary to clean not only the freezer, but also the walls of the refrigerator itself, where food is stored.
Older No Frost models should be cleaned at least once every 3 months. This helps to maintain functionality and prevent trouble.
If we are talking about equipment without the No Frost system, then defrosting should be carried out here once a month.
Unfortunately, drip or manual defrosting appliances are more labor intensive to maintain, so you have to spend more time. However, regular defrosting will extend the life of the appliance.
How to defrost the refrigerator: step by step instructions
Defrosting a refrigerator with a camera
As already mentioned, each model has its own characteristics.
If you have a refrigerator with a chamber, follow these steps:
- Be sure to unplug the device. Then take out the contents of the refrigerator and freezer. To keep food in good condition, wrap it in paper or newspaper and put it in a cool place. Ideally, if defrosting occurs in autumn or winter, because this way you can take food outside. If you defrost in the summer, you can put the food under the air conditioner by wrapping it tightly with a cloth.
- To quickly defrost the freezer, heat water and place a pot of hot liquid inside. Close the door and wait 10-15 minutes until the ice begins to melt. Next, you can remove the melted ice. To do this, use a scraper and a knife. Also, if the ices easily move away, you can remove them with your hands.
- Cleaning of the chamber should take place after the total removal of ice. Take a sponge and a soapy solution (dishwashing liquid is suitable). Wipe the walls thoroughly, then remove the foam and dry the chamber.
- After cleaning the chamber, carry out the same manipulations with the refrigerator itself.
- Put the food in place, and connect the power. The equipment will gradually pick up cold, the desired temperature will be established in about 4-6 hours.
As you can see, the procedure for cleaning a two-chamber refrigerator does not take much time and is quite simple. It is important to do it in a timely manner.
Do I need to defrost the refrigerator No Frost
There is an opinion that refrigerators of such a system are self-defrosting. Indeed, the instruction from the manufacturer of refrigerators with no frost says that defrosting of such a device is not required.
However, in some cases, frost may accumulate on the device, so it must be cleaned. In the case of prolonged use, the system may fail, due to which ice and frozen pieces of snow are present on the walls.
The frequency with which you need to defrost or wash such a refrigerator is 1 time per year.
The defrosting steps are the same as in the previous paragraph, however, in this case, you can remove the refrigerator immediately, without waiting for the ice to melt.
How to preserve food while defrosting
If you have helpful neighbors who can hold groceries for a while, that’s great. But in other cases, it is necessary to put food somewhere so that it does not deteriorate.
We talk about several popular ways to preserve products in their original form:
- If defrosting occurs in winter, take food outside. Pre-wrap them with a cotton cloth to prevent dust particles from entering.
- Summer defrosting requires special preparation. If you have a separate freezer at home, you can transfer the products there. In the case when it is not available, tightly wrap the food with paper (you can use wrapping or food paper) or with a cotton towel. Alternatively, you can wrap the food in cans of ice that you remove from the freezer.
- Use a thermal bag. If the amount of food is small, you can put everything in a bag with thermal characteristics. It will reliably protect food from heat.
In no case do not leave food just like that, be sure to provide access to coolness. You can also wrap the contents of the refrigerator in a plastic bag and stack it next to it in a pyramid shape. So the cold will stay longer.
Is it possible to wash the refrigerator included in the network
Many are interested in the question of whether it is possible to wash the refrigerator without turning it on from the network. We answer this question: unfortunately, any appliance must be unplugged before wet cleaning.
The fact is that water is an excellent conductor of current. Touching the wires while the refrigerator is on is fraught with bad consequences.
Also, when the door is open, the radiator is overloaded. Warm air entering inside contributes to the violation of the temperature regime.
Accordingly, the refrigerator works without stopping, wearing out much faster. This leads to problems during the subsequent cooling of the products.
In addition, warm air forms condensate, which negatively affects the entire structure of the system.
The efficiency of the refrigerator is determined by the degree of its sealing. The tighter the device, the better its performance. Condensate is collected in trays, forming a specific «fur coat» of ice and snow. This seriously impairs the operation of the refrigerator and accelerates its wear.
Cleaning the refrigerator after defrosting
When cleaning the refrigerator, do not use overly aggressive products, otherwise they can corrode the parts of the device.
Also, each type of pollution requires a certain degree of purification and different means.
If you notice mold on your refrigerator, take a baking soda and vinegar solution. Mix everything in a 1:2 ratio (one part baking soda to two parts vinegar) and dampen a cotton towel with this liquid.
Gently wipe the surface from the inside. Thoroughly clean the rubber pad. You should leave the refrigerator open so that the product cleans the surface well.
For lack of vinegar, you can take hydrogen peroxide. However, this option is only suitable for those who have a white refrigerator. Otherwise, a whitening effect will occur and the colored surface will become lighter.
Grease is perfectly removed by many dishwashing detergents.
You can also take ammonia and toothpaste, mix them in equal proportions and gently wipe the oily areas. This mixture will also eliminate unpleasant odors and prevent the appearance of pathogenic bacteria.
Corrosion and yellowness are perfectly washed off with ethyl alcohol or a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Take a piece of cotton wool, moisten it with one of the liquids and wipe the places of contamination without pressing the cotton wool too hard against the surface.
After that, let the areas dry and wash off the surface with plain warm water.
Sometimes it happens that traces of glue from production stickers remain on the surface. There are special tools that remove glue, but they are not always at hand.
Sometimes an ordinary eraser, which is used by all schoolchildren, will help.
You can also remove adhesive residue with a hair dryer. Just wet the spots and point a hot hair dryer there. This softens the adhesive and can be easily removed with a damp or dry cloth. If the procedure fails, repeat it again.
After cleaning any stains, leave the refrigerator for at least an hour to air out. Thus, places that were not completely wiped dry faster and the refrigerator will function better.
While drying the inner case, you can clean the outer surface of the device. A microfiber cloth or a cloth soaked in a mild solution of soapy water is suitable for this.
Alas, not everyone adheres to the correct rules for operating the refrigerator.
When using the device, consider the following factors:
- The temperature of the room where the equipment is located. It should not be subjected to too high or low degrees. The optimum temperature is between +10 to +32 degrees Celsius. In other cases, the device may wear out, thereby reducing the useful life.
- Humidity. Humidity should be at least 75% degrees Celsius.
If you have just purchased a refrigerator, pay attention to its transportation.
Equipment can only be transported vertically. This is due to the fact that in this case there is a risk of engine oil overflowing into the circuit, which will lead to clogging of the capillary pipelines.
That is, immediately after the purchase, you will encounter the first trouble. If you can’t put the refrigerator straight, then make sure that at least the position of the compressor tube is vertical.
Do not put the refrigerator next to gas stoves and electric stoves. The ideal place to place the device is a place where the sun’s rays do not fall.
For best results, wet clean every month and defrost your freezer as needed. Also, each manufacturer indicates the frequency of general cleaning, so pay attention to the instructions.
To eliminate unpleasant odors, you can put small containers of salt inside. It perfectly absorbs even the strongest aromas.
During operation, try not to place plates with warm food, as condensation forms due to this. Leave space between items and do not lean food against the back of the refrigerator. This way you won’t clog the drain holes.
It can be concluded that the care of the refrigerator is an important point in the operation of the device. If you regularly clean the equipment, doing it efficiently, your product will serve you for a long period of time.
How to properly defrost the refrigerator and how much time you have to spend on it, you will learn by watching the video: