*A review of the best according to the editors of expertology.ru. About selection criteria. This material is subjective, is not an advertisement and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
The Japanese say: «The heart and soul of the chef are enclosed in the knife.» To prepare delicious dishes, you need not only skill, but also a good toolkit — a sharp knife. With it, you can cut any products with high quality, saving time. A dull one will only crumple, forcing the user to make great efforts to cut meat, poultry, vegetables, fruits, etc. There are knives on sale that do not require sharpening, but most often this is a marketing ploy. As time passes, the person who bought such an instrument notices that he, like the usual one, begins to get dull. We advise you not to succumb to advertising tricks, but to purchase a good sharpener. It will allow you to always have a sharp knife in the kitchen. There are different types of sharpeners, and each has its own advantages. Since there are not a lot of knives in the home kitchen, you can choose any type of knife sharpener.
Do not confuse sharpening with editing. The first option involves cutting metal from the web to form a sharp edge. The second — without cutting, changes the angle of the cutting part, as a result of which even dents and other defects that are invisible to the eye are leveled. Editing is done with the help of musat, ceramic discs.
Expertology experts have prepared a rating by selecting the 12 best knife sharpeners for it.
How to choose a knife sharpener
- Varieties. There are three main categories: fully manual, mechanical and electrical. Manual ones include whetstones, which only a professional can handle, because it is necessary to choose the right stone grain size, angle of inclination and be extremely careful in the process so as not to get hurt, and sharpeners with fixed rods located at an angle of 20 and 25 degrees, where you need to be vertical to drive with a knife, which simplifies the work. Mechanical sharpeners include classic tabletop sharpeners, which are compact, easy to use and safe; vacuum, with one or two grinding zones and a special suction cup, with which it is fixed on the table; sharpeners in the form factor of brass knuckles — put on the hand, and despite the fact that sharpening does not last long, due to the convenience and low cost, they are great for use in the country. Electric knife sharpeners are portable and compact devices that allow you to quickly and effortlessly sharpen a knife of any length and thickness. After the procedure, the tool remains sharp for a long time, if this is a priority for you, then choose an electric sharpener. Musat is not a sharpener, it is used to straighten the cutting edge. Used at the final stage of sharpening to achieve greater sharpness and increase the period during which the knife will remain sharp. Musat can be used when the tool is slightly dull to trim the blade. Since the musat does not remove metal from the blade, the service life of the knife increases significantly. In restaurants, chefs use musat dozens of times a day, because the process takes a matter of seconds.
- knife material. For steel knives, you need to purchase sharpeners with abrasives that are harder than the steel of the tool. It can be ceramics, diamond grit, carbides or Arkansas stone. For ceramic knives (made of black and white zirconium ceramics), only diamond-coated abrasives are suitable, since ceramic is a rather fragile material that can break if not handled properly.
- price segment. Manual sharpeners with metal discs, as well as coarse-grained bars, will cost the cheapest — 300-500 r. For natural and synthetic stones, the simplest electric and manual models, you will have to pay 500-3 thousand rubles. Fine-grained and two-layer combined bars, two-stage, three-stage, electric with the possibility of mechanical polishing cost between 3-10 thousand rubles. Professional devices belonging to the group of grinding stations with diamond-coated abrasives and having a three-stage sharpening will cost 10 thousand rubles or more.
Rating of the best knife sharpeners
The best manual knife sharpeners
Profi Cook PC-MS 1090
In first place in the rating category is a desktop manual sharpener with an abrasive from a diamond grinding stone. Effectively and quickly cope with sharpening, you just need to put the blade in the slot with the tip down, swiping a few times on yourself. The angle of sharpening is optimal, prevents damage to the metal blade and prevents the formation of scratches. There are three slots for different stages: preliminary, fine and rough sharpening. This approach allows you to process even very dull knives. The case of laconic design is made of stainless steel. It takes up very little space, so you can store the sharpener in a drawer where spoons, forks, knives lie, then the product will always be at hand.
- ergonomic shape;
- acceptable cost — 1650 rubles.
See also: 12 best baking dishes
The second position goes to the manual sharpener model with natural diamond-coated abrasive plates and profiled ceramic plates. The product not only perfectly sharpens knives, but also fixes the result so that sharpening is maintained for a long time. To restore sharpness, it is enough to draw the blade 10-15 times, first in the first slot, then in the second. The user does not have to make great efforts by pressing hard on the knife. On the bottom of the case there are six legs with rubberized pads that provide a secure fit. The case itself has a Soft Touch coating, so when holding the sharpener with your hand, the risk of slipping is minimized.
- the ability to sharpen serrated knives;
- plexiglass protective cover included;
- easy to disassemble for cleaning;
- plastic ergonomic handle;
- budget cost — 870 rubles.
The third line is occupied by a manual sharpener for knives and kitchen hatchets. If you like to cook and use not only knives, but also hatchets for cutting, then you should pay attention to this device. The body is made of durable plastic. The user has one slot equipped with ceramic discs. Thanks to the ergonomic design, it is easy to hold the sharpener in your hand during the process. Users note that the sharpener makes the blade so sharp that after the procedure, the knife is able to produce very thin slices. It has become much easier to cut veins, cartilage, cut raw beetroot, which was also expressed in the reviews of the hostess.
- fast sharpening in half a minute;
- removable cover for easy cleaning;
- budget cost — 850 rubles.
The fourth is a manual sharpener with metal and ceramic cutters. The design, like all analogues, is simple. The case has a convenient ergonomic handle, and rubberized inserts are located below, which do not allow the device to slide on the surface on which the sharpener is installed. The upper part with a silicone insert guarantees a comfortable grip without slipping. The device is equipped with two slots: for the main (coarse) and final (fine) sharpening. A two-stage approach to blade processing allows you to extend the life of the sharpness of the blade. Only steel knives can be sharpened; for ceramic knives, it is better to purchase a different model. The set comes with an additional block with cutters.
- fast sharpening;
- the ability to replace the blocks with the necessary ones;
- fixed angle;
- budget cost — 600 rubles.
The best electric knife sharpeners
Chef’s Choice 120
In the first place is an American-made electric sharpener, suitable for sharpening conventional and serrated (serrated) knives. It processes the blade in three stages: at the first stage, rough sharpening occurs with diamond-coated abrasive discs, the first bevel is formed; on the second — with a fine-grained abrasive, a second bevel is formed; on the third, even finer ceramic abrasives grind and polish the blade, creating a third final bevel that is sharp. The user can independently choose a combination of stages to obtain different results. The sharpener can also be used for processing folding, hunting, tourist, sports, fishing and other knives.
- power — 75 W;
- instant sharpening;
- sharpening angle control — 20 degrees.
- high cost — 16 thousand rubles.
The second position is occupied by an electric device for sharpening knives, recognized as the best in terms of quality and price. The model is much cheaper than the leading one in the category, but it is not inferior in quality and practicality. The case with a metal insert looks massive, so it initially seems that the device will weigh a lot, but it is not. The sharpener is lightweight and has a neutral design. There are rubberized inserts on the bottom so that the device does not slip on the surface of the table. Only knives made of stainless, alloy or carbon steel can be sharpened. Serrated tools can only be machined in the polishing slot. Simple and clear instructions included.
- synthetic and ceramic abrasives;
- suitable for sharpening knives of various sizes;
- sharpening angle adjustment;
- ergonomic handle.
- low power — 6 W;
- relatively expensive — 4600 r.
Also Read: Top 5 Bread Pans
Sititek Hozjajka 31M
The third line is given to an electric knife sharpener, which is characterized by high power. The device works in two stages, first sharpening, and then grinding the canvas. The device is equipped with professional discs made of corundum and ceramics, thanks to which the device sharpens even very dull knives in a matter of minutes. Using guides, you can create the correct sharpening angle. The case is equipped with legs with suction cups, firmly fixing the sharpener on the surface.
- power — 40 W;
- easy cleaning;
- suitable for sharpening ceramic knives;
- acceptable cost — 2800 r.
The best knife sharpeners from Aliexpress
In the first place is an electric sharpener, characterized by versatility. The model is suitable not only for sharpening a variety of knives, but also for processing screwdrivers, scissors and other tools. The device has six grooves with various abrasives that provide sharpness to the blade. High power reduces processing time, allowing the canvas to return to working condition in 1-2 minutes. For protection, the manufacturer has provided an automatic shutdown that works during overheating. This saves the motor from failure. The body is made of high quality plastic. Users note that the device does not emit foreign odors. Among the majority of similar sharpeners, this model stands out due to its excellent results.
- power — 60 W;
- ergonomic design.
- relatively expensive — 4 thousand rubles.
See also: 10 best cauldrons
Ruixin PRO III
The second line gets a professional manual sharpener. The body of the device has a vacuum suction cup at the base, with the help of which the device is securely attached to the surface so as not to slip off during the sharpening procedure. Users note the high speed of sharpening. Abrasive bars of different grain sizes (120, 320, 600, 1500 units) attached to plastic strips make it possible to sharpen the blade conveniently. Color marking of sharpening of corners (10, 15, 20, 25 30 degrees) helps to orient in the course of work. The device is also suitable for scissors, screwdrivers and other tools.
- choice of sharpening angle;
- organizer bag and microfiber cloth included;
- knife fixation system;
- fixed stand;
- acceptable cost — 1300 r.
- requires some skill;
- it is necessary to wet the bars during sharpening.
The third position goes to a manual knife sharpener with a large base that has a rubberized insert to prevent slipping. Thanks to the ergonomic body, it fits perfectly in the palm of your hand, does not slip out during the sharpening process. There are four grooves on the body: two for regular sharpening and two for Japanese asymmetric sharpening. The model is capable of processing knives of any length. Users also note that the metal sheet can be of any thickness. For perfect sharpening, it is necessary to hold the cutting edge only 6-7 times.
- metal and ceramic abrasives;
- fast sharpening;
- budget cost — 700 rubles.
The fourth is a manual sharpener, which processes the canvas in two stages (coarse and fine sharpening). The body is made of high quality plastic. The base has anti-slip feet for a secure fit. Due to its small size (10 x 4.5 x 5.5 cm), the device fits comfortably in the hand, adding convenience when working. Two recesses under the fingers are responsible for ergonomics. It is suitable for processing metal knives, and for ceramic knives it is better to find another model, since this one can lead to tool breakage if used carelessly. Most user reviews have a positive rating for this product — people received a product of better quality than expected.
- abrasive discs made of stainless steel;
- budget cost — 300 r.
See also: 12 best glass manufacturers
In fifth place in the budget manual sharpener category. You can buy it online for only Rs 150. There is a vacuum suction cup at the base of the case, providing an anti-slip effect. You can mount the device not only to the table, but also to the tile. A special arrow clearly shows how to place the knives in the grooves in order to sharpen at the right angle. Users complain that sharpening does not last long, only for 2-3 days. Given the low cost and short time required for sharpening, we recommend the product for purchase, because the device can sharpen knives at least every day.
- fast sharpening speed;
- strong fixation.
- chemical smell.
Rate the article
Total votes: 12rating: 2.5
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.