Almost every kitchen is equipped with a microwave oven. For housewives, it is simply a salvation — you can heat food in it and defrost meat, and some have even gotten used to cooking multi-component dishes in it. However, after forgetting to wipe the inside of the microwave a couple of times, users notice that dried spots have formed on the inner surfaces, and the smell is not very fresh. It is not possible to remove them with a damp cloth, which means that you need to think about how to wash the microwave oven better and faster.
When starting this procedure, you should not forget about some rules:
- It is necessary to wash complex equipment with a minimum amount of water, otherwise it is possible to damage moisture-sensitive electronic elements;
- No need to use hard, scratchy sponges;
- Aggressive chemical compositions can damage the surface;
- Before thorough cleaning, it is better to disconnect the device from the power supply.
And now — several ways to clean a dirty microwave oven easily and inexpensively.
Method 1: Steam cleaning
Tested by many housewives, it is a cheap and effective method for lightly soiled wall surfaces. It is best suited for cleaning the microwave oven of users whose family has allergies. The method is quite simple: put a cup or bowl of plain water in a microwave oven. You don’t need a lot of liquid — 300-400 ml is enough. Then the device is started for ten to fifteen minutes with maximum power. The liquid in the vessel boils, and its vapor fills the space of the device. This effect vaporizes dried spots stuck to the surfaces of pieces of food, softens greasy splashes.
When the microwave oven turns off, you need to take a sponge and wipe all surfaces, and then walk along the walls with a dry cloth and wipe off the remaining moisture and stuck crumbs. You can increase the steaming effect by adding citric acid or soda to the water.
In some models, for example, in the Panasonic microwave oven NN-DS596MZPE, such a function as cleaning with a steam generator is provided during production. In them, the surfaces of microwave ovens are not so dirty, especially if you use this function after each use of the unit.
It is interesting to read: How to cook in the microwave: 4 interesting recipes
Method 2: Using dishwashing detergents
There are two ways to wash dirty surfaces of microwave ovens with a product like Fairy or something similar to it:
- Pour a little dishwashing gel on a moistened washcloth, lather it intensively. Next, apply the whipped foam on all surfaces of the oven and do not wash it off the walls for about half an hour. Then wash it with a damp cloth along with the remaining dirt. It is advisable to start washing the stove before the foam completely dissolves. A fairly effective cleaning method if the oven is not heavily soiled;
- You can use the tool in another way. Put a little dishwashing liquid on the sponge, lather it up and put it in the microwave on a rotating plate. Start the stove at minimum power for half a minute. During this time, the steam of the product envelops fat deposits and dried food residues. Here, you need to make sure that the sponge does not start to melt. After turning off the stove, wipe all the internal surfaces of the stove with a hot washcloth with a foam composition. All greasy dirt is well washed off. All that remains is to additionally run a semi-moist napkin over the walls and the device will shine!
Interesting: The history of the invention of the microwave oven: from 1945 to today
Method 3: Use of soda solution
An excellent result for a moderately dirty device can be obtained using a soda solution. The mechanism is quite simple and effective:
- A wide vessel (you can use a deep bowl or bowl) is filled with warm water to ⅔ of the volume;
- We add ordinary soda to it (at least three spoons), stir until it dissolves;
- We put the container in the case, and the microwave oven is started at maximum power for five to ten minutes;
- After switching off, the stove stands with the door closed for a few more minutes;
- After opening the door, the container is removed and all the walls are thoroughly wiped with a napkin. If not all contamination can be cleaned the first time, the procedure can be repeated.
- Corners and particularly dirty places are wiped with a cloth soaked in the same soda solution.
During the boiling of water and soda steam, condensate settles on the walls of the microwave, dissolving fat deposits, dried separations and food residues. The method is good because such non-contact exposure does not damage the inner coating in any way, even in expensive models such as Bosch BFR 634 GB1.
Method 4: Cleaning and eliminating the smell using a solution of citric acid or vinegar
Many housewives consider an unpleasant smell to be one of the most unpleasant manifestations of microwave contamination, which is especially noticeable when dishes are heated. It usually occurs after frequent defrosting of meat or fish. But the smell of burning is considered the most persistent, and how to remove it from a microwave oven is not an easy question. The reason for this may be irregular cleaning of surfaces, weak operation of the fan, burnt dishes. But even this trouble can be dealt with using home remedies.
Citric acid or vinegar is suitable for this purpose. The algorithm for using these tools is the same:
- If there is vinegar at home, then you need to make a composition with equal parts of vinegar (9%) and water. To begin with, you need to wipe the walls with a cloth soaked in this composition. If this is not enough, then you can place the cup with vinegar in the oven and run it for a few minutes until the solution boils. Most importantly, there should not be much liquid in the cup so that it does not splash onto the surface, otherwise the coating may be damaged. And during the procedure, you need to open the windows for ventilation.
- Citric acid is used in a similar way — a few spoonfuls of acid are dissolved in water and the interior of the microwave is wiped with this composition. The effect can be enhanced by heating the solution for half a minute at full power in the stove.
These two products will help in the best possible way not only to remove the smell, but also to clean the microwave oven from old dirt.
Useful information: the most popular microwave ovens: an overview of the best models
Method 5: Cleaning with lemon or orange peel
By eating an orange, you can keep the fresh orange peel. Not only can it be used for various dishes, it is also an excellent cleaning agent for microwave ovens such as the SAMSUNG MG23F301TCW/UA. In addition, citrus aroma is always associated with freshness and purity. So how to clean the microwave using orange peels or lemon?
Eat citrus. Put the remaining part of the peel in a glass dish and add a little water. Place the vessel in the microwave and run it for five to ten minutes. During this time, the water will boil, and ethereal components will begin to be released from the peel, the vapors of which will settle on the inner surfaces as condensate. They will soften dried food residues, dissolve fatty deposits. After turning off the stove, you need to use a damp cloth to walk along the walls and ceiling of the stove, cleaning the dirt. Not only will the microwave shine, but the smell inside it will be fresh and pleasant.
But you can simply cut a lemon into slices and perform the same procedure. By the way, if you wipe particularly dirty surfaces with lemon slices, they will literally shine.
Popularity of home methods
Since all oven walls have a special coating that reflects microwaves, the cleaning compounds must be treated with special care.
it is recommended to clean the microwave oven with hard, scratchy sponges that contain active chemicals.
Despite the fact that home compositions cost a penny, users should understand: special preparations are offered for microwave ovens, produced taking into account the characteristics of the coating, do not damage it, or do not affect the electronics and internal parts of the microwave. In addition, if the use of homemade methods causes damage to the microwave oven, it will not be possible to repair it under warranty. In general, careful treatment of this household device will ensure a long service life of the device and its safe use for the family.
Approximate compositions of home remedies can be seen here: