Freshly squeezed citrus juice is tasty, healthy and refreshing. It is the basis for many cocktails, desserts, sauces and even cream. Below are five quick ways to squeeze orange juice at home without using a juicer.
Life hacks are suitable if you need a little fresh drink, just a glass or less. If you need a larger volume, it is better to take a juicer.
Related tips: How to make apple juice without a juicer – 4 ways
Method 1: glass beaker
One of the most effective and simplest options for making orange juice without a juicer. A glass with a wide capacity is required. Thick glass is best.
- Crush, cut the fruit in half.
- Turn the glass over and place it in the container.
- Roll the prepared orange with your hands, touching the bottom, as in a citrus press.
- Squeeze the citrus until a dry peel remains.
A container with ready-made juice can get pulp. If you want a clearer juice, you can additionally filter through a sieve or cheesecloth.
We wrote earlier: Which of the 2 types of juicers is better: screw or centrifugal?
Method 2: plastic bottles
To do this, you need to make a primitive juicer with your own hands. You will need two plastic containers of different volumes, for example, bottles of 0.5 and 2 liters. And also the container where the juice will be collected.
- Cut the larger bottle in half. Put it in a stable container with the cut side up.
- The capacity of a smaller volume is also turned over and placed inside the bottle that cuts.
- The bottom of a small bottle serves as a press, a larger container serves as a funnel that collects juice.
- The capacities must be fixed relative to each other. To do this, you need to make holes and fasten them with long skewers or cocktail straws. Holes can be made with a knife, a heated nail or a knitting needle.
- Cut the prepared fruit into halves.
- Use the bottom of the bottle as a juice press.
- It is necessary to squeeze the maximum amount of liquid from each half.
Fresh will flow through the neck of a large capacity directly into the glass. If necessary, the resulting drink can be additionally filtered. This and the previous method work according to the principle of a citrus juicer.
Method 3: a hole in the skin
This method is ideal for those who do not want to dirty a lot of dishes.
How to squeeze orange juice without a juicer:
- Prepare citrus fruits: cover with warm water, roll on the table.
- Pierce the skin with a teaspoon, a knife or a cocktail straw, preferably made of metal or thick plastic.
- Squeeze the citrus so that the liquid flows into the container through the puncture.
- Repeat with all the fruits.
- With the help of a straw, you can drink juice directly from an orange.
The amount of extracted juice depends on the size and juiciness of the fruit.
Method 4: Using a fork
No additional devices are required, cutlery and a container for collecting juice are enough.
How to do:
- Soften the orange in any way: with hot water or mash.
- Cut in half.
- In each half, turn the device to grind the pulp as much as possible.
- After that, squeeze the juice.
The drink squeezed according to this principle will be quite thick, with pieces of pulp.
May come in handy: How to choose a juicer: 10 key indicators
Method 5: using kitchen appliances
If you have a blender or a universal combine at home, there should be no questions about how to quickly make juice from oranges. This method will help you get more juice than any other described above.
How to cook:
- Remove the peel from the washed fruit.
- Divide the core into several parts.
- Throw everything into a blender bowl and beat into a homogeneous mass.
- Strain through a sieve. To get more juice, gauze is used instead of a sieve. It can be squeezed by hand.
Juice for drinks will be concentrated. It can be diluted with water or served with ice.
Learn more: Why you need a blender: functionality and 5 reasons to buy
How to make juice from oranges without a juicer: a table with the best methods
To get more juice using any of the methods presented, each fruit must be pre-prepared:
- Wash if you plan to use the peel.
- The orange will become softer if you pour hot water over it or put it in the sun.
- Under pressure, roll the citrus on a horizontal surface.
So the juice will be easily separated from the pulp and it will be possible to squeeze out more liquid.
More on the topic: 5 types of cocktails that you can easily prepare at home!