The device of the microwave oven tray, which is responsible for the uniform cooking and heating of food, malfunctions occur. Moreover, the oven itself continues to work, but the plate stops rotating. There can be several reasons, as well as ways to repair. This is what we will analyze in our article.
Reasons for the lack of rotation of the pallet
There are only a few malfunctions in which the microwave plate does not spin. Moreover, they can easily be corrected with their own hands, since the rotation device has a simple structure. The causes of failure may be the following:
- the plate is not set correctly;
- malfunction of the gears of the pallet drive gearbox;
- a failed engine;
- poor quality of contacts;
- bulb burnout.
It is worth noting that the most common reasons why the pan does not spin is its incorrect position or an engine failure that has occurred. The winding may burn out in the motor due to sudden power surges, or drops of detergents and water have entered the motor.
A malfunction of this part of the microwave oven is much less common. More gears suffer here, which eventually get eaten and begin to wedge and slip. This phenomenon is especially common in modern models. Since earlier versions used metal gears, and modern manufacturers often install plastic ones. This affected the price, but in the end the quality became much worse.
In the event of a malfunction of the motor or gearbox, it will be necessary to change the part completely, since it is no longer suitable either for continued operation or for any repair.
You have to buy a motor. You should not buy cheap ones that cost about 150-300 rubles. As a rule, their service life is limited to a year. It is better to spend money and buy an engine at a higher price, but with high-quality components.
Lack of power
In this case, you will have to look for a solution to the problem in the microwave control unit. It is quite difficult to replace this part on your own, as knowledge in the field of electronics is necessary so as not to increase the number of breakdowns. In this case, it is recommended to return the oven to a repair service.
This is a different story. In some microwave ovens (especially in older models), it is not uncommon to encounter this phenomenon: there is a series circuit in which a light bulb is included. If it burns out, then the motor, accordingly, stops working. This design is very unforeseen. But the solution to the problem is the simplest — replacing the light bulb.
Engine faults and replacement
A motor failure is a common cause of a microwave oven running but the plate not spinning. At the same time, it doesn’t matter what the problem is: in the gearbox or in the winding, in any case, you will have to change the motor.
This is how the engine that produces rotation looks like from the outside. It is worth briefly talking about the design:
- power terminals. They are attached to a power source and it is thanks to them that energy is supplied to the motor for work;
- motor shaft. Directly rotates the pallet;
- gearbox cover and motor housing. Protect the internal elements of the engine from the effects of the external environment. In particular, from the ingress of liquid or pieces of food.
For a better idea of what needs to be done, we recommend that you watch the following video:
For the full operation of the engine in the microwave, it is necessary that it has low speed and high torque. In addition, it should not be expensive to manufacture.
The ideal solution for microwaves was a synchronous motor with low power (only 4 watts). Such motors make from 3 to 7 revolutions per minute and are able to turn a plate loaded with several kilograms.
Now for the replacement. Absolutely everyone can do it, even a person far from technology. You just need to follow the instructions in the picture and be able to use the tools:
It is strictly forbidden to turn the shaft on the gearbox when the motor is in your hands and you are touching the terminal. This will lead not only to complete damage to the gearbox, but also to a very strong electric shock in the amount of 220 V.
How to determine the malfunction of the engine?
- Reducer. It’s all about the gears here. Take the engine apart and look at it from the inside.
This is what the new gearbox looks like. The gears of the faulty device are either worn out or broken off.
- Rolling the motor shaft. Such a breakdown is most often associated with human negligence. Since it occurs during a strong overload or manual braking of the shaft. Therefore, always read the instructions for the correct use of the device. If the maximum load is indicated there, then you should not exceed it. Make sure that the plate does not touch the inner edges of the microwave, creating an artificial drag.
- Short circuit of the motor winding. A malfunction of this kind is quite difficult to determine without a special device — an ohmmeter. When measuring resistance, the norm will be from 12-16 ohms, if the engine is designed for a voltage of 220V. It can be lower (for example, 30V or 21V), then the standard resistance has a frame from 100 to 200 ohms. If the measurements go beyond these values or “infinity” is displayed, then this indicates a broken winding.
In the absence of an ohmmeter, it is possible to determine the malfunction, but it will be more difficult. The main thing to remember is that the short circuit of the winding is accompanied by a strong heating of the motor. This is determined by an ordinary inspection of the details.
Poor quality of contacts in the motor
Very often, this aspect is simply ignored. But this is very important, since the current passing through the terminal is approximately 16 amperes. And even an increase in resistance by one ampere can affect the reduction in motor power. To avoid such a problem, it is necessary to firmly press the contacts to the power source with pliers.
Sometimes the rotation of the shaft is directly related to the operation of the light bulb in the microwave. Fortunately, fixing the problem is easy enough. You just need to replace the failed part. It is done like this:
- The cover is removed. In most cases, it has a U shape and is attached to the rear panel with self-tapping screws. A lamp will be visible in the hole that illuminates the microwave;
This is what the microwave looks like with the cover removed.
- Pull the bulb holder out of the air duct and unscrew it. Replace the old lamp and assemble the casing back. After that, the performance of both the lamp and the microwave motor is checked.
- If the lamp and motor are still faulty, then the problem lies in other parts, for example, in the electronics or in the circuit. In this case, the best solution is to contact the service center. In the case of a valid warranty, it is better to immediately send the oven for repair, as self-intervention can make the microwave unrepairable.
The vast majority of modern microwaves use light bulbs with a power of 20V and with an E-14 base. Sometimes it turns out that the design does not provide for a thread, so it is not possible to unscrew the lamps. You can buy them in technical stores.
Incorrect pallet installation
Among other serious breakdowns, the lack of rotation of the pallet may be due to improper installation. See if the wheels of the plate match the rails in the microwave.
This point should be paid special attention if your model has a cage with rollers. Since they very often go off the rails and the plate stops rotating.
Warranty and self-repair
It should also be noted that with independent intervention in the integrity of the case, the guarantee is completely canceled.
Therefore, before trying to fix the microwave yourself, make sure that the warranty period has either expired, or you are 100% confident in your ability to repair. Otherwise, you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket. Sometimes 2/3 of the price of the microwave oven itself is given for repairs in the service.
All warranty conditions are specified in the instructions or contract upon purchase. It is advisable to always read this paragraph carefully so as not to get into difficult situations in the future.
If the plate in the microwave does not rotate, then fixing it is easy. You just need to make a little effort and be able to use the tools. Of course, if you have a warranty, then the best option would be to give the oven to a service where it will be repaired for free.