Installing a water heater with your own hands is a laborious process, but for lack of hot water in the house, it is impossible to fully take a bath or shower, and work in the kitchen.
Today, in retail outlets, you can see water heaters that are completely different in appearance and size. And it can sometimes be very difficult to navigate in a large assortment.
Types of water heaters
Such devices are either storage or flow type. Both options have both their advantages and disadvantages.
The water in this equipment is heated as it passes through the apparatus. At the same time, the heating time of the flow device is very short, within 30 seconds. The advantage of this technique is its size. The connection of this device can be made in any place equipped with a supply of water and electricity. But this unit consumes a lot of electricity. To take a shower normally, you will need to connect a water heater with a power of at least 6 kW. That is, to start, you will need to install a separate electrical wiring.
Storage water heaters
The principle of operation of this device is somewhat different from its flow analog. Water fills a large tank and gradually heats up in it. The positive quality of the accumulative apparatus is its relatively low energy consumption. Even for a 200 liter tank, only 2 kW is enough. The body of such a water heater has good thermal insulation, so that the water in the tank cools for a very long time.
The choice of the storage unit is due to the calculation of water consumption for the number of people in the family. For three people, it is enough to purchase a product with a capacity of 150 liters. The negative feature of such a device is the operating time. It will not be possible to quickly heat water in it.
Gas, electric or indirect
Each type of water heater is convenient in its own way.
Most consumers prefer the electric option.
This is due to several factors:
- If the installation is carried out in a country house or in a rural area where there are problems with the gas supply, such a device is best suited.
- Today, electricity is the most affordable type of energy carrier.
- Installing a water heater with your own hands is much easier.
- The device operates from a 220 V socket.
- There are no connectivity issues with these devices.
They are less popular, as they work only if there is a main gas supply. Its operation will cost less due to the fact that the price of gas is less than electricity. But connecting on your own will not work. This should only be done by a specialized company.
Such water heaters are more suitable for private houses. The water in the storage tank of the device is heated by the boiler. And that, in turn, is heated by burning gas or solid fuel.
Water heater installation
As a rule, the installation of both flow-through and storage devices is carried out in the bathroom. Storage water heaters should be placed on a load-bearing wall. Since with filled tanks they have a lot of weight. Another point that you should definitely consider when starting the equipment is the distance from the water heater to the outlet tap. This interval should be as short as possible. Compliance with this condition will reduce the heat loss of water.
For installation you will need:
- self-tapping screws;
- copper two-core cable;
- plastic pipe.
Water heater installation process
- At the selected place, brackets are attached to the wall with self-tapping screws. A water heater is hung on them. The main thing is that it is correctly exposed. That is, there should be no distortion or displacement.
- The next step involves mounting the device to the power line. The device of the accumulative device allows this process to be carried out in a simplified version, rather than when installing a flow apparatus. This is due to the fact that the storage unit only works from time to time, which means that it has less load on the wiring. At the flow unit, the water heats up instantly, therefore, the current strength must be large. You can’t plug it into a regular outlet, as it simply won’t stand it. For such a device, it is recommended to use an individual line from the shield. It is best to entrust such installation to specialists.
- Next, a connection to the water supply is made. Before this work, you should turn off the water in the house and release the excess pressure (for this, just open a tap). Then a shut-off valve must be installed on the water pipe. Should the equipment ever need to be repaired, the water can be shut off with this valve. Next is the installation of the tees. If the quality of the water wants better, it is worth installing filters. After that, at the cold water inlet, a safety valve must be screwed onto the device. It is necessary to relieve pressure in the water heater if necessary. Further, plastic pipes are installed between the tees and the device. A special nozzle, which is included in the water heater kit, is screwed to the outlet pipe. The tightness of the joints is fixed using plastic or rubber cuffs.
When the connection to the water supply is made, it should be checked for leakage. For this purpose, you need to open the tap for supplying warm water from the device and the cold tap from the water supply. When the tank is full and water comes out of the tap, you need to turn off the tap and check the connection points for leaks.
Do-it-yourself installation of a water heater is only worth it if you have experience in plumbing work. Otherwise, it is best to leave this work to specialists.